
I havn't tried an Epilady since the late 80's. I remember it as a vibrating metal coil that left my adolescent legs bloody and spotted. I hated it. BUT, I'm excited about this new Epilady campaign. My friend/ acquaintance Karis is the new spokesperson. I met Karis when i was doing a video on Lucha Va Voom a few years ago. He's a phenomenal hula hoop performer. And she's one of those people who's graceful sensuality and beauty strikes you before anything else.
In the alternative world of couture, ever quivering for the next glittered teetering diva, trans-celebrity models such as Jeffree Star seem to be all the rage these days. But, this is EPILADY, not Tarina Tarentino. This is a product for the general masses, not the hipster elite. The ad actually does a little bio on Karis, which adresses him playing with gender ambiguity and being a female identified man. I think this is a big deal! They are putting this really dynamic gender representation out there to sell a product, and they are doing it in a way, that doesn't seem to greatly underestimate the viewer's intelligence.
To check out the whole flash ad, click HERE.
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Epilady
Labels:
epilady,
epilator,
gender,
gender expression,
jeffree star,
karis,
products,
tarina tarentino,
transgender
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment