Thursday, May 29, 2008

Guerrilla Gardening

There is an amazing article on the Guerilla Gardening movement in the Los Angeles Times. For the last few years I've been fantasizing about planting a community garden in the front yard of the vacant house accross the street. I then moved on to thinking about helping people plant veggies in the little sidewalk patches of city-dirt on residential streets. I was waiting to be a better gardener. To not be loosing crops each season to aphids and mold problems. I'm still not there yet. But In the meanwhile, there are lots of people apparently living my dream such as Islands of LA, and Farm Lab. The times turned me on to these amazing blogs: Homegrown Revolution and The Guerilla Gardner. Maybe this summer's plans will include some evenings spent Gurrilla Gardening!! I think planting our own food is really important, especially with the rising costs and diminished taste of (even the organic) store purchased produce. When I really think about it, it scares me that we depend on mysterious sources for all of our food and water. We take for granted that 'they' will keep providing for us. Gardening is power. And its a great work out and meditation. And NOTHING tastes better than a veggie you grew yourself. Ohh...I better water my garden.

No comments: